AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

perfect filtration of liquid fertilizer on a planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ridge Valley Cropper
Posted 11/30/2020 18:29 (#8635791 - in reply to #8635745)
Subject: RE: perfect filtration of liquid fertilizer on a planter

SCWisconsin

A little long winded, but...

I feel your pain! I’m running two ground drive piston pump systems on my 1770NT. One 2 X 2 (15 to 22 GPA) and the other in furrow, (5 to 7 GPA). Mostly no till. Works great when I have good liquid. My supplier is VERY consciences about delivering “good” liquid. This is Paramount! In the end, year after year, I feel it is worth it in terms of yield. (That’s my operation). BUT…. I would say that 70-80% of my planter prep time, and shut down is “liquid” related. (pumps, single disc openers, visagauges, orifices).
Ever notice how many JD single disc openers are for sale on here!!!? Putting seed in the ground seems easy.

What I do; right or wrong. I in line screen on the suction side of the pumps, and on the pressure side of the pumps. I also screen out of my trailer tenders. (Off hand I don’t recall anymore mesh sizes, but I have it working.) I have set up my visa-gauge orifices to run about 20 psi. (In other words, run larger orifices) to combat two things: better pass liquid contaminants, and should I be “going down” in soft dirt and have to give her the beans, (speed) don’t blow up the system weak spot. What a mess!

Some springs the odds are against me in southern Wi. My 2x2 mix is prone to salting out in cold morning temps. (I run a 10-34-0 & 30% mix). Normally not a problem, but never say never.

Getting good liquid, and “normal” temps, makes for a trouble free planting season for me.
I absolutely realize guys with big acres can’t F$rt around with all the liquid I do. But again; I like the results.

Lastly: I have my liquid circuits configured so I can do a quick garden hose flush. This has saved my bacon a few times. Also, inline screens located so draining and cleaning doesn't go all over the planter frame.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)