AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone buy a used storage server?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

TheGleaner
Posted 11/17/2020 01:43 (#8611043 - in reply to #8610198)
Subject: RE: Anyone buy a used storage server?

ND
Just playing around with the site you mentioned...and I ran into the problem that made me ask the question in the first place: cost.

To buy one that I wont immediately outgrow(I'm not done archiving yet, and at this rate, wont be for a while, I don't think I'm half done even) is rivaling the cost of used enterprise equipment, which...well here I am again.

I'm not afraid of learning how to use things like freenas and similar...

Just what I'm looking at and trying to say is...sure plug and play is very nice BUT if you can cut a 1/4 or a 1/3 or half or whatever off the cost by doing it yourself and the only downside is you have to take a few days to do it and learn it about the program and how and why it works, I'd rather do that and save the money. Also I find tinkering with it to be somewhat fun and somewhat cheaper than cars and farm equipment.

I should also say that I am not really afraid of used hardware. My current PC came completely off of Ebay, a side from the psu and the CPU cooler. Yes even the drives, they came from data company out of Minnesota, tested fine and so far(knock on wood) have been fine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)