AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone buy a used storage server?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

TheGleaner
Posted 11/17/2020 01:30 (#8611041 - in reply to #8609407)
Subject: RE: Anyone buy a used storage server?

ND
Yes I'm doing alot of converting of film and VHS, along with the, I'm making a conservative estimate here, 300k pictures(my family loves cameras and photography and even during the depression there was no slowing, I am pretty sure they treated film like water)at as high as my scanner will do them(before it becomes it faking it with software) which spits out a file of 500megabytes to a gig and a half. Overkill? Probably, but I only want to do it once, maybe twice(when technology makes the jump to make it worth it), and then at that resolution, you can really blow them up. There is alot of negatives too that I scan as high as possible.

18 3TB drives for sure that are either full or close to, with 6 more in various states of fullness.

Preferably not a pile of drives on the counter and redundancy is what I'm looking for as all 18 full ones are, well, sitting on a table in the basement. It's also a pita to find anything as you sit and swap drives until you find whatever you were looking for.

LTO, though, is backwards comparable 3 generations I believe and it's on LTO-9(th generation) now. My problem is its something like LTO 7 where the take cassettes become cost and space effective, as in I wouldn't have 18 cassettes sitting on a counter, it would be something like 2 tapeloaders, but those tape loaders are expensive to the point of it being cheaper to look at a bunch of spinning drives again.

Most of it will be read only.

Cost wise is kinda a "depends on the info I receive type of deal" as my current idea is to either consolidate those current 18 3tb drives to something bigger and put them in a server or just put the 3tb drives in there, both starting out as jbod systems and later as money allows make it into a raid redundant(redundant statement I know) system with a twin sitting in the now empty grandma's house in case our current house burns, then there is an off site copy.

I have looked at just throwing sas/sat cards into an older PC we have but then it begins to get close to the cheaper older servers I see on ebay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)