AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone buy a used storage server?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

ktululives
Posted 11/17/2020 15:38 (#8611801 - in reply to #8611041)
Subject: RE: Anyone buy a used storage server?

The systems capable of handling a high number of drives are expensive, there are server set-ups that can handle 30+ drives and you could almost just drop in what you've got, but those systems are several thousand dollars. On the other hand, systems that handle fewer drives are cheaper but then buying larger drives can be really expensive.

I probably have less experience with this stuff than you do, although I've been around people who know about it and have picked up some knowledge. If I was in your position, I would look into breaking up your data into smaller segments based on what it is and how often you might want to access it, and then build RAID-6 arrays, loading those arrays with data and then removing them from the server and storing them in HDD storage cases (they make interesting cases that are kind like a trunk, have foam inserts that hold 8 drives or something, or you can buy smaller plastic cases and put them on a bookcase or something). If I recall correctly, 8 3tb drives in a RAID-6 array would give you around 18tb of storage (you lose 2 drives worth of space for the parity data, but you can have any 2 of the 8 drives in a single set fail and not lose any data).

But you'd have to kind of have some kind of cataloging system, Array 1 has movies, Array 2 has pictures, etc. and have all the drives labeled - Array 1, Disk 1, etc. to kind of help you know where to start looking when you want to find something.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)