AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

receiving cattle protocol
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 11/11/2020 08:29 (#8599729 - in reply to #8598697)
Subject: RE: receiving cattle protocol

West Central Illinois

No I get what you're saying, so yes I do "mass treat". I guess what I was getting at is I like to avoid running them through a chute the afternoon they get off my trailer. Used to before I got my chute setup just run them through cross alley at sale barn but the more I kept thinking about it, it's an awful lot of stress on the calves, at least at the sale barn I mostly buy from. The highschool kids that work back there tend to get cattle pretty riled up.

I'm glad you brought up that to make me look up feeding rate on the label, when I started feeding that stuff my feed guy at the other feedmill I used to buy from told me 10 days and that's what I went by. 10 days on "special" feed can make my little setup more complicated since i only have 2 pens to use and I typically buy a handful of calves each week on Saturday when I'm loading up on calves. I don't like mixing new cattle with cattle that have been there so keeping calves that are still on CTC separate from calves that are off it and separating calves that I just brought in gets to be a pain in the butt. Temporary pens with 2 strands of hot wire and having to bucket water to them isn't exactly ideal.

What kind of products do they have out there for treating in the water? I'm open to ideas, I typically buy 250-400 lb. peewees so teaching them eating out of a bunk sometimes takes a few days so some calves might not be really getting their dose. I give them a dose of pulmoguard and a 7way with somnus but that's after 1-2 weeks usually.

Edited by Lb94 11/11/2020 08:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)