AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

receiving cattle protocol
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 11/10/2020 11:29 (#8597765 - in reply to #8597411)
Subject: RE: receiving cattle protocol

western iowa,by Denison
Lb94 - 11/10/2020 08:25

feedgrinder - 11/10/2020 06:46

just curious what other producers do when getting new calves in , as far as vaccinating. we have 50 momma cows and feed out the calves, and usually purchase another 100 head from sale barn to fill lot. our calves are vaccinated and started on grain, hay, silage. bringing in new groups, they're quarantined 2weeks, wormed/valbzen, poured, blue light in water. dry hay, pail fed grain. usually buy greentag calves, someyears goes smooth, someyears babysitting and needling . am i missing something or is that just cattle feeding. thanks

I took some advice from this forum of not doing any vaccination work on new high risk calves until they've been on the place 2 weeks, and IF health on them is good after that 2 weeks. Last few bunches I did this way I was a lot happier with. I know a lot on this forum like doing mass treatment with a hot shot antibiotic like draxin but I still feed CTC 10 in the feed bunk for first 10 days in the lot. Works *most* the time but not great for the calves that have no idea what the wooden things in the lot are with grain in them...

CTC10 is mass treatment-what the he-- am I missing here? CTC is a antibiotic-or did they change that? So if a producer used a injectable antibiotic how is that different from a oral antibiotic? Is that the right way to do it? Things must be different in Illinois
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)