AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Massey VT transmission... teach me!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

c_mayer
Posted 10/20/2020 07:13 (#8554872 - in reply to #8553379)
Subject: RE: Massey VT transmission... teach me!

Jeffersonville, OH
Trillium Farm - 10/19/2020 10:59

student - 10/18/2020 20:41

The Fendt CVT is mechanically simpler than the competing cvts, in my opinion at least. There are no clutches in that trans to worry about. The trans has its own oil, separate from hydraulic fluid, so no risk of contaminating trans oil. The Deere IVT (in the 8r at least) uses common oil, which has likely contributed to the demise of more than a few IVTs.

Sisu engines are generally pretty solid, fuel efficient and reliable. Never see many complaints about them on here. The 4 cylinder Sisu has been found in Valtra tractors up to 150hp for many years already, so these high powered 4 cylinders are not exactly a new concept with Sisu.

If you have issues it will likely be with the electrical and hydraulics systems. This is where the Fendt shines....generally electrical and hydraulics systems are engineered and manufactured at a higher level than the MF/Challengers, but of course there is a cost difference there.

If you do buy it, I'd suggest changing fluids at intervals shorter than are likely spec'd. 500 to 1000 hr engine oil intervals are not uncommon on newer machines, which is excessive to my thinking....oil is cheaper than metal. Same with trans fluid....why run 2000 hrs on oil in a CVT to save a few bucks on oil? No, oil is not better than it used to be, in fact its worse, as many additives have been reduced or eliminated for environmental reasons.

Agree with all you said, but knowing what I know in manufacturing, I think that the Fendt & MF electricals/tronics are the same. It would cost more to keep 2 separate lines, where the difference may lay is on the assembly line where Fendt workers may be given more time for the same task as MF workers thereby the lesser propensity to break-downs.

They are not identical, but they are similar. FENDT uses a couple things different than the Massey and Challenger's, and has their own software for controlling what it does and how it reacts. It is a Premium product, with Premium features...For example, the new 900 Gen 6 tractors use 2 of the transmission controllers that the Massey and Challenger use one of...small detail, but it means that each one can worry about different things, and not be overworked. That allows them to measure more, or run more sophisticated software to control things.

I'm not a FENDT dealer, just parts and service for them, so I don't know all the ins and outs on them until I get a change to learn, but that's one small thing I have learned.

That all being said, the MF and Challenger versions work just fine as is, and I haven't found a task yet I haven't been able to do with them better than a powershift.
Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)