AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A few cover crop pics also
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 10/16/2020 06:40 (#8548253 - in reply to #8548210)
Subject: RE: What is the plan for the subsequent crop?

southern MN
I have tried to get to a three year rotation of 15 acres of this oats with the neighbors hog manure, corn, soybeans, back to the oats/cover.

So it will be going to corn.

One of the three patches is very wet and has a tree line shade. That one I work in fall, it needs to dry out early in spring needs to be fall worked. This field is more rolling and the pattern tile helps it drain well, but lighter for me soil, so I likely will spring till it. These fields are pretty rough from the manure being countered in, and I’m not set for any type of notill, hard to invest in the iron for a small field on a small farm. Tillage is normal around here, very little notill in the county.

At times the alfalfa and clover are really something come spring, but the field is so rough, wouldn’t work well to try to harvest it.

Two years ago we had such a wet spring, I ended up disking it wet, twice, the last week of May and planting corn. Was tough killing off the alfalfa and wasn’t the best seed bed for the corn, but the corn did pretty good considering the miserable year that 2018 was around here.

I’m surprised this year the turnips did as well as they did, as the one pic shows we had lots of heavy rain this summer, lots of standing water. They usually don’t like wet roots. Really neither does the clover or alfalfa. The oats went about 80 bu which is pretty good for the rough year. I had that field pattern tiled in 2013 I think it was, or it would be an ugly brown dead mess.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)