AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yellowstone trip ?'s
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dmfordo
Posted 9/27/2020 14:47 (#8517797 - in reply to #8517391)
Subject: RE: Yellowstone trip ?'s

Southern Illinois
A week is good and I would just concentrate on Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I went last year and didn't get to see all that I wanted. One thing I missed was driving The Beartooth Highway. It's supposed to be one of the prettiest drives in the country. I also enjoyed the Buffalo Bill museum at Cody.

I'd stay inside Yellowstone park for at least 2-3 days. Book the reservation now if you can find one. They book up quickly, but people cancel all of the time, so just keep looking. They will charge your credit card now, but as long as you cancel within a month before the trip, your money is fulling refunded. Also book a couple of days down near Jackson Hole or a lodge near Grand Tetons.

Yellowstone is huge. I believe they were working on a section of the road starting this year and it may be closed next year, as well. If that's the case, you won't be able to do the figure 8 loop which will also add time to your drive in that section of the park. You can check the National Park website for planned road closures. The drive time throughout the park is longer than you would expect just looking at a map. The prior poster is correct in that you don't want to drive it at night.

Make sure you actually use the correct site to book the hotels. There's another site that isn't the "official" park lodging that charges fees to cancel. I stayed at Canyon Lodge which was nice. I wish I would have also booked near Old Faithful.
https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com

If you do go and have a smart phone, buy the Gypsy Guide for Yellowstone and Grand Tetons app. They narrate as you're driving through the park. It will tell you must-do's, things you can skip if you don't have a lot of time, etc. Also, it will tell you to turn here to not miss hard to spot places.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)