AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage bag base
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SilverSeeder
Posted 9/17/2020 18:37 (#8501109 - in reply to #8501063)
Subject: RE: Silage bag base

SEMN
J HL - 9/17/2020 18:00

I always have viewed bags as a temporary solution to a storage problem until you pour concrete for a bunker or put up a bin if for grain storage. When I bagged some HMC, the cost per bushel was high enough that after 5 years I could have paid for a bin for dry corn or poured a pad and just put the packed HMC on concrete in less than that. I have yet to figure out why guys build a base and bag year after year, rather than just build a bunker out of concrete and tarp. Far longer lasting and effective base, far more tonnage protected in less total square footage.

Have you seen spoilage on a pile that wasn’t packed correctly? In a perfect world where you have time and the pocket book to do everything your own it might work. Real world we switched to bunker/pad and the custom crew was perfect. Spent the time packing so minimal spoilage. He quit, tried a few other crews and we were throwing away as much in spoilage as the bags cost. Now you can bag it and be done a know it’s good feed. Rain tomorrow? Hammer out 1 or two 200 or 250 foot bags quick today. Rains a few days in a row? Well pile isn’t getting rained on. Put up a silo with bag money. Ok now I need to screw around with an unloader and when the cows go when he’ll freezes over my silo sits as a statue and will need to be removed at some point. To each their own. If we all liked the same thing it would be pretty boring around here. I bagged then went to bunker and now back to bags. Bags are expensive but do was the liner and the cover and tires for a bunker too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)