AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pork roast recipes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 9/6/2020 08:20 (#8478600 - in reply to #8477144)
Subject: RE: pork roast recipes

We're similar to Wayne, but we've added a new twist that seems to make the loin more consistently moist. We Sous Vide it at 145 for a couple of hours and then put it into a hot grill to finish the outside. As for seasoning - no surprise here - we coat it with Slap Ya Momma prior to putting it in the ziplock bag for the Sous Vide.

Sous Vide is a very handy option. I think a heater/circulator runs up to about $200 on the high side, and then all you need is a big pot of some kind to hold the water. We cook steaks on the grill in the summer, but in winter we Sous Vide them for an hour or two at 135 (it isn't fussy on time) and then throw them in a hot pan for a minute on each side - perfect every time. This has also solved the problem of cooking chicken thighs on a grill - Cook them first in the water bath and then just set the outside in a hot grill. The wife often cooks several of them at once in the water bath and refrigerates or freezes them. Then they can go on the grill - or in a hot oven in the winter - just long enough to get them warm all the way through. No worry at all about overcooking to kill bad bugs, and the meat comes out moist every time.

The wife is taking the Sous Vide cooker along to the farm in a week or two this year. It will be perfect for when she doesn't know when I'm coming in for dinner, as the steak or pork can stay in the water bath indefinitely until she sees me coming down the driveway. Great also for bringing dinner out to me, as cooking time in the water bath is not critical at all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)