AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Water wells
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 9/1/2020 06:52 (#8469369)
Subject: Water wells

Not sure exactly what forum to put this under but have a question for you guys. Have a bit of a situation here with water wells and it actually a complicated mater but just wanting y'all's input and thoughts.
So my county has a water board since the early 2000s. Any new well dug for ag use is limited to 1/2 acre foot of watering. Growing pecans takes atleast 2 acre foot a year if not more in my area. Had one well go dry but luckily that place is on county line and the well that went dry was in another county that has no restrictions. But that got me conserned about my water and my future. Also in my area is the eagle Ford shale and they track the oil wells. Well a neighborhbor had a 29 acre pond and he drilled two 800 gallon a minute wells to pump into the pond (damed up dry Creek) and sells water to oil and gas. Well water board rules state if it is a permited well it must be 700 foot deep and screened below 500 foot. Both wells are screen at 350-450 then agian at 600-700. I told my dad, I think those wells being screen high like that is effecting our Wells. This was a few years ago. Well now we have 3 wells that have either gone dry or going dry. And 8 neighboring wells that have either gone dry or going dry. The 2 wells filling the crack pond were only permitted to pump 40 acre foot of water. Yet if I had to put a conservative guess on how much they have pumped it would have to be more than 250 acre foot of water probably much more, not going to get too deep into the numbers here but way more.
What would y'all do if this was your situation? I am upset that I can't really garentees I will have future water without also drilling down 700 foot and I really can't afford that. My neighbors are upset. I contacted my local lawyer and he said he thinks there is a good case here but he is no expert water attorney and reccomended someone and I am waiting to hear back from them. After I brought this up to the water board the person that owns the wells now has asked for more water and it was granted but the landowner no longer is operating the well but a small oil and gas company.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)