AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader PF3000 - External GPS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/26/2020 07:57 (#8457678 - in reply to #8456437)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader PF3000 - External GPS

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I've been through much of what you ask about but that was several years ago.

1) The PF3000 is locked to the settings you mention. It might work with a faster GPS but I found that the PF3000 can get what I refer to as as "bogged" down with too much information or too fast. Yield monitoring does not require the faster settings such as steering or application control.

2) I was successful in using a Garmin 17N GPS which was also an older WAAS marine receiver. My came with loose wires so I had to make install a 9 pin connector to allow it to connect to the PF3000. Pins 2, 3 and 5 are used for GPS information. Ag Leader departed from the standard and provides power and ground out to a GPS receiver on Pins 4 & 6. This can cause problems if not needed with certain equipment. If the GPS device gets its power another way, all pins but 2,3 & 5 should be "clipped" off. Feeding power to some 3rd party GPS systems causes SMOKE.

The obstacle I ran into with the Garmin 17N was that it came setup to use Garmins format. It could be reprogrammed to ouput NEMA at 4800 8,N,1 with VTG and GGA ONLY On. This required connecting the Garmin to a PC running Garmins Configuration program. This required an adapter harness to get my 9 pin connected and also a 12V power supply. Then I had to fight through the configuration program as I was not familiar with all the choices. Once I fought through it, everything worked fine. This configuration was a one time deal and I used the Garmin with the PF3000 for several years until I traded combines and went with an Insight which is connected to a Raven Phoenix 200. I still use the Raven with my current InCommand 1200. Although the InCommand can work with a very fast GPS, it is not necessary to do so and the old Raven has never failed me. It is WAAS only.

Your Garmin can work fine. I would investigate the Garmin Configuration program. I would keep your Garmin at the lower speed. If you have seen GPS coming across on the PF3000 you are close. The VTG message is necessary for speed. GGA is also necessary.

3) As mentioned GPS from another source is possible. The other post mentions a Trimble 750 which could work fine with the proper null modem cable. The rule of thumb that I've used is if the 9 pin connector out from the GPS will mate with the 9 Pin connector on the Ag Leader then connect them. If they are the same sex then a null modem, gender changer is needed. Besides allowing the two cables to connect pins 2 & 3 are swapped. Your short cable between the PF3000 and your GPS3000 does this I believe.

You mention concern about the Trimble Protocol. This got involved with your GPS 3000 as it is actually a Trimble receiver in a plain black box. When Trimble GPS is used with Trimble controllers the communication is done via TSIP (Trimble's Standard Interface Protocol). TSIP is Trimble's thing and no one else can provide it. The Trimble receiver can also work with the standard NEMA protocol.

This should not be an issue since the PF3000 uses the NEMA protocol when working with Trimble or other brands of GPS.

Edited by tedbear 8/26/2020 08:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)