AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader PF3000 - External GPS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Lone Cedar
Posted 8/25/2020 15:37 (#8456437)
Subject: Ag Leader PF3000 - External GPS

SW Iowa
I have an older (pre-CANbus) yield monitoring system that uses a PF3000, currently with a GPS3000 add-on GPS strapped to the back of the display.

As near as I can tell the only correction signal supported by the GPS3000 is Coast Guard Beacon (no WAAS). In previous years the display would almost always show corrected signal, however during 2019 harvest it was almost never showing corrected. From what I can tell it looks like the beacon network is only being maintained in certain areas now, and our nearest transmitters (which would have been Omaha and KC) are both decommissioned. I didn't notice anything too crazy in the yield data from last year (if memory serves I think it may have jumped some on the occasions it temporarily got correction), however since it seems I'm running completely uncorrected most of the time would like something better.

I've been looking into options a bit this afternoon, and had a few questions with regard to switching to a different GPS receiver:

1) Is the PF3000 hard coded to 4800 baud 1hz GPS input? 8N1 format? The info I'm finding in the manual seems a big vague, because it seems to indicate the system uses some Trimble protocol instead of NMEA when used with the similar-era Ag Leader GPS receivers. I can't find anything in the PF3000 menus to set/change the input baud rate (there is some stuff to change the GPS3000 receiver baud rate settings, however I can't see how it's useful).

2) I have a Garmin 19x HVS, which is technically a marine receiver but I think functionally similar to the old 18x models except capable of 10hz output rate and GLONASS support... will that be "good enough" for this application? Would there be much advantage to using a higher end receiver if the display is only reading 1hz? I have an Ag Leader 6000 I could probably get set up to work, however believe I'd have to manually change baud rates using a computer with USB-serial adapter and terminal software to go between the PF display and the Edge it normally gets used with. The Garmin doesn't get used for anything else, so once set up it could just stay on the combine permanently.

3) I understand the PF3000 9 pin serial port is not exactly standard and has 12v power available--what pin(s) is power on? Is there anything else to be careful of, or if I just hook up 2, 3, 5, and whatever pin is power will I be good to go?

Everything else with the system works fine and serves my needs adequately for now, so although upgrading the combine kit to a CAN system would be nice I'd prefer to avoid that expense until something major breaks or I have money burning a hole in my pocket.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)