AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pickling cucumbers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

born_in_ad1
Posted 8/5/2020 21:39 (#8417694 - in reply to #8417518)
Subject: RE: Another question....

ESW ND
One brine per jar...no adding afterward. For fridge pickles. If you make them hot....can add boiled eggs later, but it's still better to have a fresh brine made up for pickled eggs. My mom does mustard in her pickle recipe. I'd find a new canning recipe. Ours is dill, tblespoon mustard if you wish, pack with fresh washed cucs of your size, sliced or whole, garlic toe, boil the brine and pour in the jar. Then in the canner. None of the multi day boiling stuff.

martin - 8/5/2020 20:48

I have a small garden. I decided to plant some cucumbers this year.  I am getting more cucumbers than I can eat daily in a salad.  So, I decided to try making some pickled cucumbers.  So far, I had enough for a very small batch. That is fine. 

Here's my question: if I would try some refrigerator pickles, could I start with, say, a gallon size glass jar, put in some pickles, onions, brine, etc?  then add more to the jar the following week if/when I have more to add, and then again the following week?  or do I need to do a whole jar at once? 

With canning pickles, I need to do a batch. I think you can see that. However, if I could add to a jar of refrigerator pickles, I could see the advantage of doing that. At least from my perspective of having small amounts.

Your thoughts?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)