AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calmer rolls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jrditchdigger
Posted 7/9/2020 10:53 (#8363188)
Subject: Calmer rolls

Southern MN
Run a newer 600 series chopping head with the individual knife shut offs. It is time to rebuild the head or buy a different one. My biggest dislike of the JD heads if it is raining lightly or froze over night and the frost starts to melt the stalks hairpin at the end of the stripper plates and build up until it slips a clutch. Much more of a problem in the higher stand counts. We have had new heads, used heads and I have tried everything to eliminate this problem and have never had a JD knife roll head that doesn’t have this problem. I would like to rebuild the old chopping head with Calmer rolls, they have assured me That their rolls will eliminate or greatly reduce this problem. General questions and questions putting them on a chopping head. Most years run in 200-250 bpa corn, the way this yr looks at this point is 220-280 bpa, 36-39k stand.
-anyone running them on a chopping head? Was hoping year 1 to get by running it with choppers Off except in c on c situations, in high yield high trash situations are the Calmers by themselves enough to get through the trash in the spring? We are far enough north virtually no stalk decomposition from harvest to planting. Usually run a 335 vert till or an 875 ripper and field cult in the spring.
-anyone running them on a chopping head head having gear box issues? The Calmers I am told pull harder, concern over running them with the chopping unit on will take out gearbox’s/slip clutches?
-any experience with JD intermeshing rolls? Have not heard anyone that has seen much off a difference with them either. My JD parts man told me that was the answer but after looking into it more says that at this point JD is actually recommending the opposing rolls for the problems I am having. Not much info out on them at this point.
Thanks for any recommendations

Edited by Jrditchdigger 7/9/2020 10:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)