AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting wood pile fires
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

inotill
Posted 6/29/2020 22:36 (#8344364 - in reply to #8343909)
Subject: RE: Starting wood pile fires

Harlan, KY
StxPecans - 6/29/2020 19:17

I am pretty much in the limb/tree/stump burning business.
Diesel is your friend but if it's too wet it's too wet. Let it dry and a good breeze is best. Nothing worse than a burn pile with a bunch of unburnt logs/limbs.

I also hate wasting diesel. But then agian I will burn 30 to 50 piles at a time and if I were to burn a gallon on each pile it would just cost too much. I like to save my lighter fluid bottles from the BBQ pit. Fill those with diesel. If you can't get it going with 1/3 of a jug let it dry is my Motto. Otherwise your going to be wasting too much time and fuel and energy. When it's good and dry just few ounces of diesel will get the biggest of piles going.

I never use gas, that is dangerous, yes I can do it without hurting myself and yes it's fun. But the way I see it I am setting an example for others around me and I don't want my employee doing that. Just taking on unneeded risk.

I like to burn all my piles at once, then after they are done I run my limb rake in a circle picking up unburnt stuff from the edges and in the ashes. Typically it's about 1 grapples worth of unburnt stuff. Combine all unburnt stuff into 1 new pile.

I guess the way I look at it is sitting there watching 1 fire, or spending too much time is costing money. When we get to burning we need to be effective.

I make it sound as if I run a tight ship but the reality is I probably only burn once a year. And if you know anything about pecan trees they constantly drop lumber.

Need to work on starting sentences with "I"

Just sayn.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)