AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'd hate to own commercial office space now
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

flyinfarmer
Posted 6/3/2020 07:14 (#8295345 - in reply to #8295227)
Subject: RE: I'd hate to own commercial office space now

NE Iowa
I have a daughter that just started her first job with large company in the middle of all this. Maybe I’m old school, but I really wonder what the long term impacts are of people not having the casual conversations, impromptu hallway discussions, randomly bouncing things off each other (things that just don’t happen naturally in a virtual work environment).

I’m thinking of both impacts to the individuals (psyche, motivation, social skills, job satisfaction, etc) as well as the companies themselves (productivity, employee retention, innovation, etc).

I retired a couple years ago from a large engineering & manufacturing company. Towards the end of my career, ‘working remotely’ became a real buzzword, but it mostly referred to working from home a day or 2 per week. I utilized it a fair amount during Spring & Fall, as I could work in early morning and late night and work on planting & harvest during the day. Was a sweet deal for me. There were some folks that did transition to it full time, and my take is they just kind of got forgotten by most of the organization.

Will be interesting to look back at all this in 5 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)