AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'd hate to own commercial office space now
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mattchu60
Posted 6/3/2020 08:40 (#8295498 - in reply to #8295371)
Subject: RE: I'd hate to own commercial office space now

NC IA
I personally work at home for a Principal Financial. Not sure if that's the same company Johnny was referring to in an earlier reply, but we are closing 4 smaller offices and making all those employees work at home. I have been working at home for 5 years already so no impact to me. There was no pay cut for going from the office to work at home.

Also there is no childcare additional pay or incentive. The general rule is you are not supposed to be watching your kids and working at the same time, although with the schools being canceled early they were a bit flexible on that as they understood there was no alternative. Some people are working alternative hours to allow them to stagger their day so one parent can watch kids at a time.

I think more companies will follow suit and make more and more jobs work at home. There was large resistance to working at home as the belief was people would be less efficient at home, or it would really harm the ability to collaborate with co-workers. With Covid and everyone being sent home, management realized these problems did not occur, there is even some data showing workers are more efficient at home. We have so much technology now where we can have conference calls with video, or skype call with a co-worker instantly if you want to bounce something off them.

Also these companies are looking for ways to save money right now, Covid has really impacted their revenue and shedding office space is a quick way to reduce a large expense.

I would agree with the title of this post, I would hate to own an office building. I think in 10-15 years we will have a large surplus of office space as more and more companies transfer people to work at home.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)