AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who splits their planter with two hybrids?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Swenny79
Posted 3/13/2020 13:16 (#8101668 - in reply to #8098827)
Subject: RE: Who splits their planter with two hybrids?

Concordia, KS
I like it and I work at one of those "dreaded coops." I feel like it gives a good comparison across bigger environments than a side by side. It helps you see how your management fits with hybrid choices. Yes there is risk, but when you get away from the White or finger pickup planters that are more sensitive to seed size, setting the planter gets easier. Plus, I want to know if we are selling an inferior, average, or superior product.

There is risk for greensnap, one hybrid not coming up, etc, but you can deal with that. On a 16 row planter where you make full rounds, you have 16 rows of hybrid A and 16 rows of hybrid B. If one doesn't emerge, you come back and plant a full 16 rows where you had issues.

I admit its not a perfect system, but it is a way to get side by side comparisons done when many growers won't take the time to do a full plot. I think the good in one outweighs the bad by a long margin. Just like precision ag, we measure with a micrometer and cut with an ax. Nothing is perfect, but most of the time you are better off to be 80% right and 20% wrong than to do nothing at all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)