AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anything i can plant in spring for straw?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 3/10/2020 03:23 (#8093157)
Subject: Anything i can plant in spring for straw?

SC Wisconsin
Are there any crops out there that will give a sizeable straw yield that i can plant this spring? Ive got a small piece i rent that is really secluded, surrounded by woods so it gets hammered with deer and turkey damage every year. It was corn in 2019, plan was to put it into beans this year, then put cereal rye on it this fall to make straw early summer of 2021. After that sorghum sudan for 2 cuttings then back to rye that fall and stay on a rye/sudangrass rotation indefinitely. There used to be winter wheat grown all over this area so straw was readily available and cheap, but its been getting less and less every year and now its basically non existent. What you can find is really pricey. I use stalks and sawdust for bedding bigger cattle, and sawdust for my calf hutches in the summer but i need long straw for baby calves in hutches in our nasty Wisconsin winters, nothing else comes close.

With beans falling the way they have, im wondering if i shouldn't just skip the one year of beans and plant oats or one of the other ryes that dont need to vernalize to make straw. However, i dont want to step over dollars to pick up dimes so if its not going to yield worth a darn i might as well just put the beans in and buy straw.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)