AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A comment/psa for those considering going from a PC to Apple
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Original Greaser Bob
Posted 12/21/2019 08:24 (#7921454 - in reply to #7914629)
Subject: RE: A comment/psa for those considering going from a PC to Apple

Altoona, WI
Just a couple of comments...

Mac computers are more expensive, true. But they come out of the box with a lot of very high quality software that PC machines do not have. Plus, they lack the bloatware that many PC machines DO have right out of the box. I made the switch over 10 years ago. The first thing I noticed is that many of the Macs I was looking at had less RAM than the PCs of the time. But I took the plunge and soon discovered that the Mac actually ran extremely well on lower spec'd hardware and the machine lasted a lot longer before OS updates slowed it down to the point that I felt I needed to upgrade. I am typing this on a 2012 Mac Mini. This is a middle of the line spec'd Mini at the time. I have installed every MacOS update on release day and this machine is still running just as smooth and quick as the day I bought it.

Up above, we have a poster asking about subscription costs for Office 365. I am using Mac's office suite, free of charge. I pay $.99/month for 50GB of iCloud storage, of which I have used about 40%. Their Numbers spreadsheet package isn't as powerful as Excel but it does everything I need (and probably 90% of the users out there) and I find it much easier and WAY more customizable than Excel. And I really do like Excel. All of my files automatically sync to my iPhone and iPad so they are always with me. Yes, MS does the same thing but find a Windows phone ANYWHERE out there and their tablets are rather rare and clunky. There is a reason that MS is going to a subscription business model. The world is going mobile but they missed that boat. They can get 365 on everyone else's hardware and still bring money in every year.

As for the lower specs, MacOS is finely tuned to work on a select series of machines. Windows has to be able to run on just about anything. The extra HP that the PCs have simply isn't needed in a Mac.

As for the lack of ports, etc. Mac computers are not for those who prefer to exist in the past. Apple typically has pushed the bleeding edge. The trend is going toward cloud storage and wireless data transfer so Apple is leading the charge in that direction of no ports needed at all. They have never seen afraid of leaving legacy in the rear view mirror. If ones looks back in history, you see they have been correct in every instance though. Mac was the first to ditch the floppy drive. Wailing and gnashing of the teeth from the computer world, including many Mac users at the time. Wasn't long and PC makers ditched it too. Because it was no longer needed. Remember a couple of years ago when Apple ditched the headphone jack from the iPhone? Wailing and gnashing of the teeth! Samsung ran ads poking fun of the iPhone. Find a headphone jack on Samsung's high end phone today though. Yes, there are cases where legacy support is needed. You will always have your cheap, crummy PCs for that though. And people defending them! ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)