AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A comment/psa for those considering going from a PC to Apple
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 12/17/2019 23:10 (#7914558 - in reply to #7904892)
Subject: RE: A comment/psa for those considering going from a PC to Apple

Wyoming

You're right. It isn't a fair comparison.

In the last 10 years, I cannot count the number of hours I've helped people deal with problems on a Windows machine. There have been entire weekends of mine lost to helping buddies and friends recover their Windows laptops from malware, viruses and such. 

On a Mac, I think I can count the hours I've had to help people on one hand. Most of my current college classmates are using Macs when they can afford them - because they have less problems. When you're in a modern college environment and they're using testing software, your laptop had better work on the day of the test, and for most college students, it appears that they prefer Macbooks, often the smaller Macbooks.

I run both Macs and Windows machines. In my briefcase, there is a Macbook Pro 15" and a Gigabyte Aero-15X, both loaded machines, both very fast, with high-resolution screens. The way I deal with Windows is to not allow anyone to use my Windows machine, I don't allow anyone else to install software on it, I have a tightly constrained set of software I run on Windows, and I tell Windows to freeze the updates - it is allowed to update only twice a year, on my schedule, and only on my schedule. I use the Windows machine for trading applications (Schwab's Streetsmart Pro, TD Ameritrade's trading app, another brokerage app), then Solidworks, some other CAD/CAM applications, some test-taking software for my online classes. That's it. It gets used literally for nothing else - no word processing, no spreadsheets, no email, no games, no social media, no nothing. As a result, it works when I need it to on testing days.

The Macbook Pro is used for all of my day-to-day computing, web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheets, software development, etc. I've never had a malware problem on it. You can tell the Mac gets used hard - many of the keys on the keyboard have the letters worn off of them. The Gigabyte machine looks like I unpacked it yesterday, when in fact I've had it for over a year now. Every time I update the Gigabyte with Windows patches, I have to go back in and re-install the Gigabyte custom software and drivers for the mousepad, keyboard, networking, etc. That's one of the big reasons I don't allow Windows to update automatically. 

On my desktop there is a 2011 iMac. I'll probably refresh that machine in the next couple of months here.

A couple of other notes about Macs:

The operating system isn't quite BSD. The commands and the file laydown are BSD-ish, but the actual kernel of OS X is derived from Mach, a microkernel OS developed at CMU. The idea of a microkernel is to minimize the amount of code running at an elevated hardware privilege level to increase reliability and security. Here's more information for those who are interested in such things:

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/Mach/Mach.html

The beauty of OS X for someone like me is that as soon as I open a terminal window on OS X, I'm back in a Unix (BSD-like) environment, and I have experience programming BSD Unix systems going back to 1984, when Windows wasn't even a nightmare in anyone's fevered imagination yet. All of the GNU tools will compile on OS X, as will many, many other free pieces of Unix-based software. You can get the sources for these programs and re-compile them on your machine, or you can download binaries. If you never want to know what lies "behind the curtain" on OS X, you never need to look behind the curtain. Most people never know it is there.  

I've written software on computer systems from IMSAI 8080's under CPM to IBM S/370 mainframes running VM/CMS and MVS, and lots of stuff in-between - PDP-11's (running RT-11, RSX, TSX, BSD and System 3.2), VAXen, DecSystem 20's, Perkin-Elmer, Interdata, HP-1000's, HP-21xx's, Wang VS, Apple II's, AT&T 3B2's running SysV, IBM PC's running MS-DOS, Windows, Unix, Venix, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD... in over two dozen programming languages. It paid well and allowed me to retire and farm when I was young enough to enjoy it. So I've been around the block with computers and programming since the late 1970's, when I first programmed a PDP-11 minicomputer using paper tape terminals in high school. 

IMO, Windows is the single worst OS ever foisted on computer users for reasons of its insecurity, unreliability and the abject failure of Microsoft to address these issues. We had two hospitals in Wyoming recently taken down by ransomware attacks, because they were running Windows Server systems and Microsoft Outlook for their email program. Patient care was impacted for over three weeks. That's inexcusable, and Microsoft, being the utterly incompetent company that they are, is doing nothing to address the situation other than "install patches faster!" The only reason why Windows persists in the market is that the inertia of the applications on Windows is dragging the user base into running Windows long after lots of people know that Windows is a multi-million dollar liability for organizations that cannot afford downtime - like a hospital. The problem isn't the PC hardware - that's fine. It's Windows as an operating system. PC hardware running FreeBSD or OpenBSD is fine and robust. I run these on PC systems of my own, and they're very tight systems.

Windows is the problem, and the problem is getting worse, not better. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)