AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

As if this spring was not already bad enough.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iseedit
Posted 7/11/2019 18:07 (#7609265 - in reply to #7609120)
Subject: RE: As if this spring was not already bad enough.....

central - east central Minnesota -

Farmer_67 - 7/11/2019 16:18 Got a phone call from an 18 year old today saying I was no longer aloud to farm a 300 acre farm that he had recently inherited from the landlord I had rented off of for the past few years. I remained calm and explained I had a contract and he then stated he had no issues getting a lawyer involved to dissolve the contract. We eventually came to terms that we would get together Saturday to talk about things. Little more about this though... I had some ground that I (thought) was very safe with a older gentleman who was 69 years old. I was told by him that even after something happened with him that I would be aloud to rent it as long as I wanted. (He had no kids and was not married at all). That guy suddenly passed away last week. His ground was left to an 18 year old guy who has since contacted me saying this was it and that my contract was no longer good at all. (I have 3 years left on a 5 year contract). Not sure where I should go with this. Not trying to be a complete a$$ about it, however this is a 300 acre Boone Co, IA farm (with very good dirt I might add) and its very difficult to take this much of a loss so quick. I should at least be able to have the rest of my contract I would think? Have any of you been in this situation before? Is there anything I can do or am I up a creek without an ore. I can only imagine what it must be like to be 18 and suddenly have 300 paid for acres given to you... let alone being in Boone Co, IA and having it all patterned tiled... Thanks and hope you were able to get your crops in! Ryan 

How does that work ? Landlord pass's a week ago . . . . . .  someone you don't know claims to now "Own" 300 acres of that landlords land ? Don't Iowa have a probate/estate law ? Wouldn't the landlord estate have to go to probate (if not in a trust) ?

Did you have your land contract recorded with the county recorder ?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)