AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

8 row corn head on 12 row planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Buehler
Posted 5/9/2019 09:32 (#7486197 - in reply to #7485988)
Subject: RE: 8 row corn head on 12 row planter

Scott City KS

Snakeskinrug - 5/9/2019 07:24

We currently run an 8 row planter and an 8 row head. I'd like to go to a 12 row planter, but trading planters and corn heads in the same year is a bit more than I would want to take on. Running the 8r on 12r planting, you'd be combining planting passes every 3rd pass with the combine - so a half round of combination rows for every full round normal. With guidance the way it is I would think you could get you planter close enough that you could go a couple of years that way, but I guess it could be hard going around sloughs and those type of things.

Anybody out there try this?

I'll second that it doesn't matter much on our farm (We have been 16/12).We run RTK on the planter tractor - Now, you have to calibrate the TCM, and make sure your offsets are right. We do it by setting a heading, putting a flag at the drawbar, come back on the same track and make sure the flag is right under the drawbar. Then measure guess rows both ways.) No problems.

I don't know what you're running, but I wouldn't be too scared of it. But obviously the dudes running markers and not having problems are better operators than I am. LOL

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)