AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Investors?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JD4400#1!
Posted 5/8/2019 14:46 (#7484336 - in reply to #7482779)
Subject: RE: Investors?

Bergen, MN
First off Good Luck, i really do mean that. I myself am 24 and started farming 160 acres in 2016, Me and my wife were given the opportunity to buy out my grandparents operation and have steadily grown our operation to 900 acres and have a decent line of equipment. It is an uphill battle everyday so you have to make damn sure you really want to farm before diving into it.

Second you need to get a GOOD, flexible off the farm job. I am an engineer by day farmer by night, this was the hardest thing for me to grasp initially that it is going to take me probably 10 years working off the farm before I can be a full time farmer.

Third a GREAT wife with a good off the farm job. Someone who believes in you, your goal and has a love of the land.

Fourth Don't count on investors on such a small scale unless its your family, they will laugh at you. Why would they invest in a kid when they can invest in a BTO, Investors talk in hundred dollar bills not nickles and dimes, so that is what they want to see. I have had the opportunity to rent a neighboring farms by placing an ad in the newspaper. My wife became good friends with a women threw work and we ended up sharecropping her families ground. Do a good job farming and get established and people will notice. The boomer generation will be exiting Ag fairly rapidly so there will be good ground available in the future don't jump all over some garbage just to say your a big farmer. May also look into a land management agency but they usually cater to the BTO's (my experience atleast)

Fifth your Uncle has every right not to want you there, so he is going to do everything in his power to push you out. Sounds like he is the sibling that stayed back and helped dad farm so why should you get a shot at it if your parents didn't want to invest time, money and sweat equity into it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)