AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Geosteer and Hydac valve on JD 8410's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/30/2019 05:24 (#7466714 - in reply to #7466446)
Subject: External Steering valves on 8120 and 8310

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
OK, here's my recollection of my experiences:

My first auto steer was installed on a Deere 8120 with ILS. The tractor could have come from the factory with an optional Deere steering valve but mine did not. This meant that an external steering valve needed to be installed. A valve came with the Nav II kit for that tractor. The electronics happened to be an Ag Leader Insight which was not a problem. The load sense line was attached to what the installer thought was the LS port on top of the hydraulic stack. The tractor seemed to steer OK.

When I went to the first field to plant, I engaged the SCV to run the vac on my Deere Planter. I tried to plant the first headland which bordered a drainage ditch so I steered or tried to steer manually. The steering didn't seem right and I had to fight it. Thinking the auto steer was interacting electrically, I unplugged the wiring to the add on steering valve. Just sitting there without moving but the SCV engaged for the planter caused the front wheels to move back/forth.

At this point I had to quit planting and at least get the tractor back to original so I could steer myself. We were able to cap off the hydraulic lines leading to the steering valve and the tractor behaved as original. After some investigation, it turns out that the Load Sense line was not connected to the Load Sense port on the SCV stack. There are a couple of ports there and LS was cast into the cap but it was unclear which port was which. The installer had picked the incorrect one which caused the problem. Apparently the port that was first used was a port for oil OUT rather than Load Sense IN. We speculate that oil from the tractor was running through the add on auto steer valve "backwards" in a sense causing the wheels to move.

After moving the Load Sense line to the correct port, the tractor steered fine for many years. It is now steered by an Ag Leader SteerCommand system but the valve itself is still the one that came with the Trimble Kit.

A year or two after the 8120 got steering, I decided to go with a Trimble 750 and another Nav II for our 8310. This required an add on external valve also. This valve is different than the one on the 8120 possibly because the 8120 has ILS. The valve is mounted in the same general location and needs the same type of hydraulic lines. It too, must tie into the Load Sense on the tractor. As I recall there was a choice of orifices that came with that kit. Deere may have changed the hydraulics during the production run of the "10" series. There was some confusion as to which orifice was appropriate. Fortunately the installer used the correct one and that systems has worked fine with that tractor. The electronics in this tractor has been changed to Ag Leader with a SteerCommand also but like the 8120, the hydraulic portion did not need to be changed and works fine. I have not experienced the jolt that others have mentioned above.

My gut reaction to the original post is that the problem is with Load Sense. I'm not certain as to why different orifices were included with the 8310 kit but it may make a difference. As far as disengaging there hasn't been a problem with either tractor. The disengage ties into a diagnostic port on the steering orbital and can be adjusted for sensitivity. Just grabbing the steering wheel and turning it causes the system to disengage nicely.

Edited by tedbear 4/30/2019 05:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)