AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another calving in may question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Big Swede
Posted 4/15/2019 19:10 (#7441303 - in reply to #7440395)
Subject: RE: Another calving in may question

SW So Dakota
RFI90 - 4/15/2019 08:21

Not in NAT herds. All matings occur between 2:32 and 4:18 PM. Peak heat of the day. Change the breeding season to summer and you'll have 100% opens. Many of your black cows will spontaneously combust, too. They'll dart from shade tree to shade tree to avoid the blistering heat and all of a sudden, WOOF! a giant cloud of smoke and a pile of roasted innards everywhere.

Breeding in August can't be done. Don't bother.

Best quote I've read in awhile. For what it's worth I was "warned" about cows not breeding in the heat of August. Our conception rates have done nothing but get better and we have a tighter calving period than ever. Last year we had 5% opens and of the 95% that were bred only 3% aren't going to calve in the first 40 days of the calving season. You guys with humidity might have different results, I don't know. Another question I had for the OP was the heifer calving in March comment. We're calving heifers right now but I think we might move bull turnout another 10 days back, like about July 25th. Cows to August 10th. If I was you I would back ground your calves and keep them till after the first of the year. Always a hot market for green steers. Resist the urge to put a bunch of weight on them. They will sell better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)