AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This week at the feedlot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LKM
Posted 3/18/2019 19:27 (#7387846 - in reply to #7387100)
Subject: RE: This week at the feedlot

Ridgway, IL
It depends so much on the weather. I have been putting up around 1 ton of bedding per head space, 1.5 would probably be better. Until last week, we had gone over 3 months without cleaning out because it has been too wet to haul. Additionaly, a challenge i have been dealing with is all my round bales sit outside, in a year like this with so much precip they really deteriorate. I have tried tarping them, what a pain. I am hopeful we add a storage building this year for hay and straw, and probably serve as overflow commodity storage when prices are good. I guess im saying we arent getting as much mileage out of our bedding this year as we have in years past.

We are somewhat routinely sending trucks into arkansas, for 2019 i am planning to try some alternative materials for bedding such as rice hulls and pine shavings. My dad prefers i leave forestry products alone because he doesnt want the residue spread on his fields... we may have to let it compost for some time to be safer. I believe there are risks to the shavings tying up nutrients.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)