AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla Semi
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

DanR
Posted 4/5/2019 23:03 (#7423312 - in reply to #7383301)
Subject: RE: Tesla Semi

SW Sask
So this is what crosses my mind... If we assume that self-driving tech develops more-or-less in parallel with electric semis... They won't need cabs. So you could make the entire unit half-height, which should cut the wind resistance (and thus energy requirement) much lower.
Besides, if you add battery to the trailer to increase range, you won't need the full trailer height on a typical van, because you'll be maxed out on weight anyway. So each truck will carry less. So the fleet operator needs more trucks to haul the same total cargo. Increased capital cost for the trucks, offset by lower operating cost (cheap electricity and savings on drivers).

The other thing that amuses me - people always talk about electric vehicles and self-driving vehicles in the absolute, ie) all or nothing. We in agriculture know that is not really how technology is adopted.
Self-driving trucks will start in specific applications. (actually, the already are, in large mining trucks, where there is near zero pedestrian risk, and very low risk from other traffic.) Eventually, confidence will grow to the point where they show up on public roads, but only on certain roads at certain times.
Similarly, electric semis will likely appear doing in-town deliveries. That will help battery tech develop further, and eventually they will venture onto short highway runs.

But I think we have decades to go before the 'average' farmer plugs in his semi/robot/transformer clone overnight as his primary freight hauler.

danr
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)