AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is this my vet's fault? (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 3/18/2019 22:46 (#7388374 - in reply to #7381517)
Subject: RE: Is this my vet's fault? (pic)

south central IOWA
patt0463 - 3/15/2019 05:11

I have often wondered what kind of feedback vets get on their dating pregnancy calls. Seems like feedback would be the best way to hone skills.

I had the vet out today to green tag vaccinate my fall calves and asked him if he wanted his calf. Told him my first cow to calve was called open. He said with a big smile, that can't be true.

He said with the new ultrasound machine he got last year, he also got the long probe to save his arm. His old machine, he was using the short probe. Anyway, he said if the cow is fat it kind of limits how far he can go in with the long probe and see everything. He said he caught onto that later on and started sleeving open ones under those conditions.

He also told of a heifer he ultrasounded that had to have a c-section. Normally with sticking his arm in there to preg he'd have an idea if they were small pelvic but with using his long probe he doesn't get that little tid bit of information. So he said he was going to sleeve heifers too even after ultra sounding them.

He probably won't ever make those mistakes again but if he does.... it won't be the end of the world.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)