AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What has worked well for cooking beef , for a large crowd ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

WesterOne
Posted 2/24/2019 19:16 (#7342183 - in reply to #7329615)
Subject: RE: What has worked well for cooking beef , for a large crowd ?

Canmore Ab. Canada
Ok, I'll get involved too.
Conservation Cop has got it right I believe. Outside Round or Bottom Round roasted to 145degrees F. Cool and slice thin and hold refrigerated. Heat covered with a little beef stock to keep it moist. 140 plus is safe for serving but don't get it too hot and cook it further. Under 140 is danger. The cut is economical.

I would season them ahead, your choice but let the meat be featured. Outside round is a medium tender cut so it is flavourful and should be roasted. Makes great beef dip. 4 oz. serving is good.

Briskets, Chuck roasts are less tender cut and is best braised. Smoked low and slow is good for brisket but don't dry it out. Brisket is a whole other topic. Higher temps are required to melt the connective tissues. Collagen specifically.

Lower temperatures are for tender cuts. They are tender and will not get more tender being cooked longer. Roasting or grilling works good. They will get tougher if over cooked. Rib eyes, Strip loin, tenderloin (in both the short loin and sirloin), top and bottom butts (which are sirloin cuts, top and bottom sirloin) are all tender cuts.

In the hip of beef The inside and outside rounds or top and bottom rounds are good roasted or strips of beef or cubed. Cutlets also. Eye of round is the toughest piece in the hip or rump (cutlets may be best). Sirloin tip is getting tougher as it is the portion of the sirloin that sticks into the rump.

Anyways, enough for now. Any cut can be good, cooked right.
Dan...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)