AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Acres per hour or day increase - 30’ box planter vs 30’ bulk vs 40’ bulk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fingers77
Posted 2/8/2019 07:20 (#7305575 - in reply to #7305521)
Subject: RE: Acres per hour or day increase - 30’ box planter vs 30’ bulk vs 40’ bulk

With our situation, going from a box 24R planter to a bulk fill planter saves at least 1 fill up a day capacity wise. Beans even more, I can hold 2 pro boxes at a time. In corn I dont always fill to keep weight down, but it's faster to fill 2 big tanks instead of 24 boxes. Part of that, is we also got a slightly larger seed blower. 3-4".

Time gained is also the planter is running at least an hour longer planting a day, usually I can get closer to 400 if beans in a day vs 250-3 before. I'd have to stop and fill every 85 acres or so, now I can go 115. That time filling eats productivity. Actual filling plus back and forth to where I stopped, plus wait on a tender I'd there is any.

Corn a decent day was 250, now 350-400 is possible.

It also forced my FIL to quit having time consuming trials of 12 bags here or there to see how hybrids compared. Less cleaning of the planter. It also helped to cut the hybrid number list down some, to keep the planter running more efficiently.

They're also a lot easier to work on the row units, especially when the boxes were full.

I have run both to see the advantages of each, but from an efficiency standpoint, a bulk planter cant be beat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)