AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Negotiating Basis??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ClampClampington
Posted 1/18/2019 09:16 (#7253422 - in reply to #7252012)
Subject: RE: Negotiating Basis??

John e.c.MI - 1/17/2019 17:41

How much clout do you need to negotiate a better basis? I’m talking maybe .05-.10? Can the 1000 acre guy do it? I don’t have the trucks or man power to haul 10k bushels on ten minutes notice and have it there by 4 pm. What I’m getting at is if a new crop bean bid is -.75, how many bushels does a guy have to sell in one shot to gain 5 or 10 cents on the basis?

Getting pushes at harvest time is likely not going to happen unless there is a supply disruption. This year for example, bean fields were rained out during harvest for a few weeks, and the processor 30 miles away was pushing 25 cents off their posted bids to get beans on trains they had contracted. Basis is just a tool to facilitate grain movement. If your buyer is advertising weekend dumping hours and no lines to dump, they might be needing grain at that moment. If they are closing at noon every day because they are plugged, probably not worth asking for a nickel push on bushels you want to move next week. If you are willing to haul when the user needs grain you can get usually get a push if its 5 loads or 50 loads
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)