AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A question for those who say tarrifs “never “ work.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

redoak
Posted 1/9/2019 11:34 (#7232057 - in reply to #7231349)
Subject: Bingo winner

sw ontario
Newguy - 1/9/2019 07:26
We can argue tariffs, quotas, free trade, fixed trade, embargoes, etc...... It’s all the same, free trade is never free, quotas and tarrifs have same effects, embargoes the same as above ripple waves of economic dispersal.
At the end of the day, if ya don’t keep your ear on the noise, and have the ability to make decisions accordingly, ya best move on and find something else to do.
I’m not a big fan of change in some areas of life. I’d have to say change in business is the same as death and taxes, count on it or go work for wall mart..... wait, now Its amezon . ;)

In last 5- 10 yrs. greenhouses have taken over our area , several 1,000 migrant workers , constant construction , now its cannabis greenhouse construction -a small project is $30 mil. , many exceeding $100 mil. per build, very few original families left ,school,church,community center closed........like Newguy said "things change" .......50 yrs. ago a 100 acre mixed farm usually grew 5-10 acres of hand pick processing tomato's and maybe an acre or 2 of cucumbers-----pretty much a dozen or so families growing for old Heinz plant (a whole nother story) were when we grew there was 400-500 family contracts.......same in livestock , 5 pork producers left and 1 contract feeder---do I like it-No-can i change it-No--only salvation is greenhouse guys have driven prices upo so much you don't need big farm to retire.......fwiw about 75% of cucumber,pepper and tomato production is shipped to US
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)