AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lines of credit
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kst1
Posted 10/17/2018 10:36 (#7051618 - in reply to #7051512)
Subject: RE: Lines of credit

I should add a couple things.....

I'm 31. My banker told me over lunch last summer that he wishes he could clone me. He has an easier time with a guy who's young and doesn't have a lot but knows his numbers and is prepared than with a 50 year old guy with 3 million in equity that doesn't know his numbers.

My first 2 trips to a bank didn't go well. The first visit I ever had was with my Dad's lender at that time. He was in his late 50s and was running a small lending office without any support help or a fully staffed bank. He asked me if I really wanted to farm and if I had pushed a pencil against anything I was wanting. I had. Sorta. Hadn't done a very good job. He told me he wasn't interested in taking me on until I got it together. I was embarrassed but Dad was upset at the banker. That's when I figured out that I couldn't do business the way the old man did. Everything changed that day, and I haven't looked back since. My second bank was a well known ag lender in my town. I set up a checking account for the farm, and then talked to a lender. I had put numbers together and done a good job. The lender told me he wouldn't touch anything without 35% equity because that's what his board wanted. I asked him how a young guy was supposed to get started, and he said (man I get salty even remembering this now) "That's not my problem. My problem is making my board happy." Another gut check. I went home and started pushing the pencil harder. Made those numbers look good and set them in concrete. He called me a couple days later and told me I should call Farm Credit. He also apologized for not being able to take me on. I walked into Farm Credit and everything came together. I know they have their faults, but honestly I'm of the thought that I will always have some of my business because they got me started.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)