AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Integra swath control.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 8/6/2018 08:25 (#6913867 - in reply to #6901019)
Subject: RE: Integra swath control.

Missouri
tedbear - 7/30/2018 06:51
MJS - 7/29/2018 04:09
I went through this scenario trying to control a single section on a planter, the problem is Ag Leader only allows a minimum of 2 sections in there setup. There may be a way around it by adding a second dummy relay. I did try it but it didn’t work at first and I had to be planting so I abandoned it.

Guess I never had the occasion to try to make a configuration with only one section. Apparently this is not allowed. It would be possible to use another dummy relay to fool the system into thinking it is connected to two clutches instead of one but I think there would be other undesirable consequences.
Maybe the configuration could be setup for a two section machine. Then think of section 1 as the real width with section 2 being a phantom section of the same width. Only have the switch for Section 1 ON. Also put in a GPS offset of half width in the proper direction which would have the effect of "sliding" the drill sideways on the tractor.
Example: Drill covers 60'. Setup the configuration as two sections of 60'. Have the Master and Section Switch 1 ON, have Section Switch 2 always OFF. Use a GPS offset of 30' to "slide" the drill to the right so that is is centered on the tractor.
If my thinking is correct, the system will try to keep section 2 OFF at all times which is fine because it is not really a clutch anyway. Its width would never be added in for acreage totals. Auto swath would turn section 1 (the real clutch) ON/OFF based on coverage which might be correct if the offset is the proper amount in the proper direction.
I just pulled the above off the top of my head. There certainly could be problems with the above "workaround". Oops, auto steer wouldn't work with very well with the fake GPS offset. Now if steering is being done with another separate system it might have a chance.
There's probably a better way.

What about 3 sections? Dummy section 1 of single row width, Actual section 2 of actual implement width, Dummy section 3 of single row width. In the auxiliary input settings, assign the dummy sections to a switch designated to be left off. For autosteer, no funky offsets, just set "guidance width" to the width of the actual section.

It's basicallly the planting version of what I do with my sprayer. It has 60/80 booms. When I spray tiny fields with the booms in "60", I manually turn off the outer sections and change guidance width. Guidance width is not locked to implement width, it just defaults to that.

The CCM would still need to see continuity to positivity (I know it's not a word) on every configured section, but that can be implement feasibly. I don't know the exact specs, but I believe a suitably sized resistor, or a trivial load, would get it done. I do know connection to common cube relays satisfies this, and they are surely drawing current on the order of milliamps, from which resistance could be derived.

In an early post, it did sound like there would be an electrical incompatibility with a CCM. It's tempting to say reverse polarity, but that's not it. More of a reverse operation, in that commonly planter clutches are *engaged* when *deenergized*, and it sounds like this setup needs to be *energized* to be *engaged*. This could be accomplished with relays and the correct wiring. If there are multiple sections, one could task an Ag Leader Boom Valve Relay Module with reversing operation. In common use, a BVRM is used for reversing polarity boom valves, applying polarity one way when actuated, and the other way when idle. It is, in effect, 5 relays inside a box, but for packaging reasons it could simplify wiring. With proper cabling, a BVRM could adapt CCM signals to their opposites (off becomes on, on becomes off). Perhaps an additional disconnect would be necessary somewhere to avoid battery drain on a shutdown system, but that is solvable as well.

What do you think, Ted? Let me put a bounty on this one for you. If you can shoot a theoretical, functional hole in this workaround, I'll buy you a 12 pack ;)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)