AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planted corn Yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 3/23/2018 22:28 (#6661562 - in reply to #6660469)
Subject: RE: Planted corn Yesterday

King City, Mo
Z.A.Enterprises - 3/23/2018 14:10

As for your plastic layer, a few suggestions for you: you should have discs on the front that cut a trench, trowing the dirt to the outside.
Then have bycicle wheels that run over the edge of the plastic to push the plastic down in the trench.
And the have the other set of discs backfill the trench to secure the plastic.
And then have the rubber wheels pack that dirt down.
Use the second set of rubber wheels to make a set of gauge wheels on the front so you can regulate the dept of the trench that way.
Just a few suggestions based on my own experience from back in the days we laid a sh.t load of that stuff.

I saw the more advanced layers and the prices and then decided to go with this style. I’ve never been on a farm where they laid plastic or at a field day where they demonstrated it so I’m going in blind. YouTube makes it look easy....

I think the clear roll was 2600’ and I’m gonna order another one for the early April planting. I’ve got a 4000’ roll of black and doupt I’ll use all of it. So we’ll see how this year goes before we spent too much on getting a tricked out layer. We added the tractor/loader last fall, 2 row planter, tiller, layer, increasing acres of popcorn, sweet corn, more other plants and veggies and 20’ sprayer for the ranger this year already and working on finishing the storefront in the barn. Rome wasn’t built in a day but we added a bunch of stuff this winter.

The reason for the layer was weed control in strawberries and tomatoes/peppers. My #2 loves strawberries to the point his hole body shakes when he sees them ready. So I wanna get a good amount of day neutrals going. I screwed up last years and going for attempt #5 so I’m bound to get it figured out eventually.

The Amish here grow a lot of produce but the click here is still living In the 1800’s......so not like corn and beans where you can watch your neighbor and see how it turns out and copy them....

(B2F25DDB-0BEB-4592-95C0-9409FC5D4219.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments B2F25DDB-0BEB-4592-95C0-9409FC5D4219.jpeg (190KB - 78 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)