AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding liquid to strip freshner??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 1/21/2018 17:45 (#6521550 - in reply to #6521025)
Subject: RE: Adding liquid to strip freshner??

Morris, IL
Mark, you seem to be on top of things what have you seen as far as yield response to spring freshening fall strips? I modified 2x of our Redball row units with 3x coulters and ran them on few strips last year on utility tractor 2 rows at a time for 12 rows worth. Idea is great and cheap but i don't have good way to clean strips before coulters which seemed to be problem. I saw about 2 bushel if you call that a yield response to freshening, this was 275 bushel corn, 2 bushel is nothing i don't consider that a response was just wondering what you have seen?

Oh and stupid question, what are vta's? I assume is some spring coulter setup just never heard that term.

OK on topic, we band UAN 2x2 with planter and 6-24-6-.25Zn in furrow. 8-9 gallon of 32% and 4-4.5 in furrow. Total cost about 20$ and the N i would move to sidedress if didn't band anyway is over 1/2 that. I've tried ATS never saw anything, i mean saw greener corn no yield. I think putting it on with Y drops is better idea myself get it on late when truly making yield at least in our Drummer and similar soils but then probably have got enough mineralized don't need any more i don't know haven't got that far. This 30-35lb. of N gets us to sidedress NH3 pretty comfortable. I have done some all Y drop kind of like that system i ran little more N with planter then sidedressed N knee high and again maybe head high or so that worked very well less pressure to get gas on and less guessing what the year will shape up to be as far as N requirement and corn yield potential. If i can stay all in same track on my turns all year starting with corn post through Y drop and fungicide i think I do little less damage on the ends compared to a MFD tractor and NH3 tank every 30'.

Planter works good for us, have considered freshening and moving stuff of planter but overall like the all in one. Would require more help and unless i can see pretty good return not worth it. Sure i have to slow down little at times because you can only build so smooth a strip in the fall at times but it works. I like this program we are in banding PK in fall building as nice a strip i can and call it good planting right on top.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)