AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody here messing with Arduino stuff?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 1/15/2018 20:21 (#6508029 - in reply to #6507286)
Subject: RE: Anybody here messing with Arduino stuff?

East Central, Nebraska
i have been buying up arduinos and shields for a few years now. occasionally i will pick up a book and go through it trying some of the project examples. i then moved to the particle boards that were wifi and cellular ready kind of got lost on that. i don't really understand their interface but would like to get back into it. i kind of lost interest on that because their cellular boards are all at&t and at the time that was not an option where i reside. i have recently started messing with rasberry pi and dont think i will pursue that any further, not real sure what i would need that for at this time. likely going to try and do some more with the arduino here in the future. i ordered some more shields a week or so ago. i found a book of interesting projects for it that i would like to follow a little. if you seen my collection of boards and shields i have you would wonder what i am doing. i actually put a work bench and supplies in my basement office. it is very elaborate.

my previous project was center pivot (irrigation) automation but i have found a solution for that i am certain i cannot spend time building and implementing on my farm because it can be bought commercially cheaper then my time is worth. my new farm related project i believe will have something to do with flow meters. i had a precision planting dealer tell me all about the new Vapply device. i am not completely interested in the device as much as how he told me how to show some customers how important it is, last year he put flow meters on a couple peoples planters and they could not believe that even though it was orificed properly and pressure was set properly the planter had crazy variations across the planter bar. he was able to put different orifices in each row to eventually equal them out. i believe he said the flow meters to interface the PP monitor were around $200 per row. my plan is to take an arduino mega and a display shield and 16 $3 flow meters and try something similar to monitor only. i am assuming the fertilizer will melt the flow meters eventually but it might be interesting to see how it works. pointless project? yes but will teach me a lot about arduinos and get me hands on with something other then simple book projects that have no real life value and not help accomplish what i would like to do with arduino in the future.

the fact that this is all open source is amazing, the way learn is not directly from a book but to get hands on and make sense of it myself. with all the projects that freely give out all the code i want to mix and match some projects to accomplish what i want and hopefully learn lots in the meantime.

dont let this post give you the impression i have any idea at all what i am doing. just been tinkering here and there. hoping this hobby will give me the ability to say someday on the farm "i could automate this task very easily with an arduino and make my life way easier". as for now i like spending hours on ebay and other sites ordering chinese knockoff shields and sensors imagining where i could use them but never really doing anything with them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)