AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sometimes you want to grab a engineer and shove
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dbltfarmer
Posted 12/20/2008 00:03 (#540673 - in reply to #540453)
Subject: Re: Sometimes you want to grab a engineer and shove

Texas
Interesting topic. My brother is a mechanical engineer and I showed him this exact situation. However, we didnt compare 20 to say 55 or 60 series but a 7820 to a 7455 cotton stipper. The 7445 was close to the same as a 55 series. We talked about it a lot and about a week later he gives me the email of a case engineer.

I wrote an email to the engineer. I basically asked why something like this was changed and his answer went something like this.

He said, while I am not an engineer for deere and not that familiar with them, I suspect it has to do with the products that are being put under the top of the cab than the cab itself. Most companies feel that cab comfort is one of the most important selling points. We can keep a cab cleaner and most of the parts more functional by sealing the top of the cab better. The companies can use less expensive air conditioner components, less expensive redios and other parts by keeping the dust out of those components. One example he used, what would the life expectancy of a cd player be in a 7140 magnum vs the new magnums of today. So the cost of the top of the cab may be a bit more costly the overall cost is down.

One thing he told me to try is to take the top of the cab off of my oldest tractor(a John Deere 7600) and my newest tractor that is over two years old.(7820) which is 4 years old. Look and see which is the cleanest. Do it again in 6 months to a year and see which is the cleanest. Havent done this yet but I beleive the 7820 will be cleaner.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)