AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What does a null modem cable do? Will I fry my Insight or Mojo?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/8/2008 06:57 (#527535 - in reply to #526758)
Subject: Re: What does a null modem cable do? Will I fry my Insight or Mojo?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
DG N. AL - 12/7/2008 13:46

tedbear - 12/7/2008 08:32 If we wish to install a Raven Phoenix GPS in a combine with an Insight we need a special cable with the following requirements: 1) it must increase the total length to reach 2) it must have Male 9 Pin connectors on both ends 3) it must have the null crixsscross mentioned above 4) it should provide power and ground to the Phoenix. We make up this cable which could be called a Male to Male Null modem extension with separate power & Ground. The end that goes into the Insight has 5 Pins in it using Pins 2,3,4,5 & 6. The other end is also a 9 Pin male with Pins 2,3 & 5 but with a separate WeatherPak two pole for Power & Ground to the Phoenix. The cable is not symmetrical so the first end is labelled Ag Leader and the other end GPS.

Ted,

I have wired several GPS receivers to AgLeader yield monitors and  part of your description above puzzles me.  If you are using a WeatherPak for power to the GPS, why do you need pins 4 & 6 on the AgLeader end of the cable.  They do not carry through to the GPS, so what is their function?

On the Ag Leader end of this cable we utilize Pins 2,3,4, 5 & 6. Pins 2,3 & 5 are for the GPS portion. That is information from the GPS (main goal of the whole project), possible configuration information/setup to the GPS (used ocasionally if at all) and signal Ground. This cable consists of 5 wires.

Pins 4 & 6 utilize the fact that on the models of Ag Leader products that use a 9 Pin connector, 12v power and ground are available. We make use of this fact.

On the other end of this cable, the 9 Pin Male connector there has only Pins 2,3 & 5 in it to connect to the GPS communication port.

The wires from Pins 4 & 6 are split off to provide 12V power and ground. This pair can power the GPS if desired. Generally the power requirements for a GPS are quite low so small wiring is adequate. We terminate those wires in a two pole Weatherpak tower.

Since many generic GPS's will come with a 9 Pin female connector with a pair of loose wires for the GPS power and ground, we attach a two pole shroud to the power pair. It is then very easy to attach the GPS to this cable and attach this cable to the Ag Leader wiring.

Note this two pole power/ground that is obtained from the Ag Leader wiring harness is only suitable for low power situations. If the connection is not needed nor desirable, this power branch can be left unused.

I should include a picture of the cable as this would clear things up quite easily.

Edited by tedbear 12/8/2008 06:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)