AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Milk at Menards
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

EarlJay
Posted 9/20/2017 10:07 (#6259289 - in reply to #6258844)
Subject: RE: We bitch incessantly about crop prices but....

Southern Ohio
Pvafarm

Not being argumentative here but a serious question. If menards is selling milk below the cost of production and taking a loss on it just to get you in the store, why is that the fault of the consumer? Wouldn't Menards be purchasing milk from their supplier for the same or close to the same price as a grocery store who is marking the price up? So in theory, it is only affecting the bottom line of the retailer and not the farmer.

To take it step farther, I have a young family and we go through tons of milk. I'll buy 3 or 4 gallons at a time and freeze it until I'm ready for it. When the store has a sale, I've purchased up to 6 gallons at a time or whatever I know will fit in the freezer. So again, in theory, when the price is down, the demand is up, which should raise the price, "eventually."

I just don't think buying $1 gal milk at menards or $5 milk at a convenience store will make a big difference in a farmers bottom line, it will just effect the retailer's bottom line. I have not worked in retail or dairy so I could be very wrong in my assumptions and I'm fine with that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)