AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Varaiable Rate Corn Seeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 9/12/2017 07:28 (#6242693 - in reply to #6239672)
Subject: RE: Varaiable Rate Corn Seeding

n.c.iowa
Don't get all too giddy there, the combine will tell the tale.

We have been variable rating for a number of years now, and agree it's a sound practice, but I still worry that we will get too confident in our knowledge of a particular field, or fields, that without yearly new data at flat rates, the variable rate itself will become yield limiting. I.e." Well I know that is a light area, so we have always cut the corn pop there".

Well seed is always evolving, what happens if you plant a fibrous root hybrid, that has a good drought score, and low ear flex?
Say you plant a covercrop on those low cec areas, what does that do to dynamics of that soil type, maybe a higher pop is all of a sudden warranted there.
In another example we have a fairly common soil type here that is typically wet, has poor internal drainage, is usually pretty high in fertility, high ph, and likes to kill off germinating crops, especially corn. So many times if a person views a yield map of those soil types, they usually show up over the long term as being low yielders, but there'll be a blip every-so-often were these spots will yield up to 25% more than the other soil types. In the low yielding years if a guy does his scouting like he should, more often than not, germination was poor and I've seen stand reductions of up 50%. But by the yield map and conventional variable rate wisdom those spots should have the inputs trimmed because they aren't paying their way, so begins the downward spiral.

I've seen a couple examples this year that kinda make a guy scratch his head, and I wish I had some flat rate next door to ground truth some stuff.

Edited by johnny skeptical 9/12/2017 14:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)