AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Varaiable Rate Corn Seeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 9/13/2017 15:25 (#6245781 - in reply to #6243421)
Subject: RE: Varaiable Rate Corn Seeding

WC Mn/Dakotas
Learning blocks vs strips. I go back and forth, they both have strengths and weak points.

To me i like a strip especially for a grower coming from only flat rate that has no confidence in vrt. He wants to compare to flate.

But if you subscribe to vrt you know you have good zones and poor zones. If you pick a target rate for these zones and then do blocks up and down or multiple up or down i think you will dialed in quicker. If you run 1 pop for 1/2 mile you cross many zones (thats good) but seems like in some zones it is a complete waste while in other zones you really learned. Blocks lets me take good zones and test higher pops that i would never want to try in poor. And i xan take poor zones and test lower pops that i know i would never want in a good zone.

Blocks i can place properly in zones and the planting guy doesnt have to fiddle with anything. Harder to put strips in rx and match the planter pass, so then plantee guy to remember to do them or they dont get done or they dont put it in a very good part of the field.

Beans is a good example. If they had been planting 175k flat, i might want to go 100k on best zone 150k on middle and 250 on poor. Grower may only be comfortable at 130k, 160k, and 225. I might do blocks 115 and 145 in 130, 145 and 175 in 160, and 175 and 250 in 225 zone. Depends on grower comfort level and degree of aggressiveness.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)