AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Varaiable Rate Corn Seeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 9/14/2017 13:27 (#6247705 - in reply to #6247583)
Subject: RE: Varaiable Rate Corn Seeding

WC Mn/Dakotas
I think to some degree our higher pH is a product of 40 years of cultivation and fertility practices that we now know were not as correct as once thought. I dont you could undo that in a year or two or five. And if you could, i dont think it would be economical. I think with help on fertility recs of a really good soil chemist and some tweaks to some mechanical practices, over time some of this will be corrected while doing it economically.

Our o.m. will be from mid to upper 1 all the way to low 6s. I think at least a couple smart firmers between rows would be very valuable data. Its not the whole answer and i dont think it will or should replace a good rx for some time.

It may be a larger limiting factor for you though and if your not already doing vrt seeding it could be a big step forward. It could be a big driver for N applications. From a couple reports i have heard very accurate reading of o.m. levels. It could be a game changer. Our sticky soils, especially when colder, render keetons worse than useless in furrow. Im hoping to add offset coulters bwtween the outside rows, maybe only run an inch deep where it less wet. Then i can use GK to smooth or adjust readings from one pass to the other similar to what we do for merging rtk and lidar. It will be one of many data layers for my zones im sure. Jyst dont know how much weight it will be given yet
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)