AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding Retained Heifers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoeR
Posted 8/18/2017 15:18 (#6195460 - in reply to #6194961)
Subject: RE: Feeding Retained Heifers?

NW Iowa
Thanks for the replies guys, I figured there would be a few different opinions on this! I tried to search back a little, and only found a couple of posts.

The number of heifers that I will be keeping back will be a high percentage of the available heifers I have this year, once you take out the twins, the red ones, and the small ones (maybe they'll catch up?). And I'm not talking a lot of heifers by any means...like 6 or 8. But I do want to get as good of a conception rate as I can, and I am going to plan to do this each year as well (as long as I don't have a train wreck in 2 years...).

I will be using a bull, no AI.

Rick, I am not opposed to using tubs for them, in fact (against NAT rules) I do let them out for the cows :) But yes, not cheap...

I guess I'd prefer to get them going with the group on a starter ration, then probably move them to a separate pen in 45-60 days and move them a little more towards a lighter ration or a hay and a little grain mix. Then breed them a little earlier than the cows, and turn everything together.

Good options, please keep them coming!

Edited by JoeR 8/18/2017 15:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)