AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

self respect vs. respect for others
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

denice.r
Posted 5/19/2017 16:49 (#6025517 - in reply to #6023255)
Subject: RE: self respect vs. respect for others

south east Indiana
I think self respect goes hand in hand with being taught self confidence. I am talking about self confidence not cocky or entitled but knowing and feeling that you are smart, worthy, important... Being taught you can dream and accomplish those dreams, you are enough, do not have to please others or have permission to be you. You are comfortable and confident in your own skin. If raised to believe that - if that is seen in the relationships and interactions with others then you can begin to believe it.
When you are told and shown you are not enough, not smart enough, not pretty enough, not talented - either verbally or lack of support - then you believe that. If that is what is modeled in other relationships then you do not learn how to believe in yourself and have self respect.

I think respect for others is a bit different. I think you can respect others and not yourself. It can be earned but again that is shown as we grow also

I believe the biggest thing we can give kids is the confidence in themselves that they can do/be anything they set their minds to and that They as an individual are enough - not perfect- but always striving to learn and grow and where they are is OK. They do not need to compair themselves or their life to anyone. I think home needs to be a Safe place. Relationships need to out in the open and honest. They need to see mom and dad treat each other with respect and kindness and when there are arguments they need to see you work it out in a calm manner putting your cards on the table. You need to model the relationship s you want them to have, be the man you want your daughter to find one day, your son to be. Admit when your wrong, say your sorry and mean it. Show them / teach them everyone is important and special and unique - they are supposed to be different. teach them how to talk things out, how to fight fair, teach them how to love... if you do that they will be fine.

it takes a long time to learn those things when you see the opposite at home and in the world

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)