AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal Rye termination date ahead of soybeans, on-farm research results
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ocfarms
Posted 12/1/2016 07:13 (#5668329 - in reply to #5668098)
Subject: RE: Cereal Rye termination date ahead of soybeans, on-farm research results

Kankakee, IL
I am entering my 4th full year of using cereal rye as a cover directly in front of soybeans. My goal is to terminate the rye within 24 hours either side of planting the cash crop. I would echo the findings on saving on herbicied costs. I plan and budget a full herbicide program every year for seed and conventional soybeans. Never have used the full amount. Last year I was able to get by with just over $20/acre of total herbicide costs. I'm on board with the herbicied cost savings but I have never left a check strip to verify yield differences.

This year I am planning on looking more into the soil health benefits of cover crops on the farm by conducting a soil health test just prior to termination. I will also take above ground cuttings of all cover growth, dry it down to determine biomass and conduct a nutrient analysis of the biomass. My question is this: Have you taken and seen side by side differences in soil health test results where the cover was growing versus bare soil? I sprayed roundup on a small patch of rye/winter rapeseed within a field of cover to terminate the patch before winter. When I do my testing next spring of the field I will also pull a sample from the no cover area to compare. A fall soil health test of this particular field returned my highest readings of the season. Excited to see what spring results are.

Thanks for all your work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)