AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why False NDVI is not accurate....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

CIL_Hunter
Posted 5/10/2016 13:18 (#5292691 - in reply to #5287776)
Subject: RE: Why False NDVI is not accurate....

Illinois
I could see where both would necessarily have value. Looking at the photos I am slightly confused. Are you wanting to use NDVI at this time to compare the area under the pivot with the area that was burned down. If so what for? (just curious)

When I look at just the area under the pivot, even with the false NDVI some areas show up that were not as readily seen in the true color photo. That to me has value and would allow me to go out in the field and do some in person investigating. I think they both have purposes and uses. Labeling it as "inadequate" would greatly depend on what you attempting to accomplish with the imagery.

Also even with a true NDVI image, I would be very careful about making the assumption that a higher NDVI value means the field is healthier especially in this case where you are comparing two different cropping areas. Canopy closure, plant population, planting date and crop stage, hybrid etc can all cause differences in NDVI. And a higher NDVI will not necessarily mean that plant is healthier than the other especially if there are other variables involved. It takes boots on the ground to truly tell that. Differences in NDVI tells us those plant "look" different and can hint toward certain problems, but it will take ground truthing to discern what.

Just my thoughts...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)